Totem Workshop at Bethlem Studio


On 25th June 2016 I was invited to run a workshop at Bethlem Studio - we had a big group and some fantastic work was made. 

Photo courtesy of Sam Curtis
I began by explaining my concept of what totems are to me. They are small sculptures made from all kinds of found objects, and hold meaning for the artist.  Objects are largely found in the thames but can also be found on the street or around the house.

Photo courtesy of Sam Curtis
 I piled up all the objects in the centre of the table and everyone dug in.

Photo courtesy of Sam Curtis
 I was amazed by the variety and imagination of what people created.

Photo Courtesy of Sam Curtis
Totems have a rich heritage of power figures, ancestral figures and fetish figures from around the world.

Photo courtesy of Sam Curtis 

Comments