What seems to be the matter? At Wellcome Library

I took part in a workshop at at the Wellcome Library to explore health, body and illness through artist's books. We began by looking at other artist's books exploring illness and then moved on to making our own.   


I constructed my book out of my medical notes from a period in 2006 when I was sectioned with psychosis. By pulling up the tabs you can read fragments of the writing from different doctors at various stages of my illness. Reading my notes allows me to piece together a new narrative of my illness which helps me to understand what happened. I also used images of the brain from a old psychology textbook to emphasize that it is a medical condition. I made the cover out of images of neurons cut from a book on the human body.



I was honored that after the workshop my book was displayed at the Wellcome library alongside two books by other artists.

Comments