Casting medication bottles

I have been plaster casting my medication bottles as part of a piece I am creating for the 70th anniversary of the NHS. I am exploring my relationship with the daily medication I take to manage my mental health.



It is a tricky process to get right - I made a mould using alginate and then filled it with plaster. It is possible to get very accurate replicas of the original object but I wanted it to be clear that these were just copies so I have left seams and imperfections visible. They're also a bit wonky! The alginate gives a high level of detail - you can see the labels and the ridges on the caps.



I will be creating a number of these to go alongside other small sculptures and collages in a larger piece which will be called PRN. Pro Re Nata is an abbreviation used to describe medications which are 'taken as needed'.





Comments